Friday, January 8, 2010

Terry Durst: The Carter Excavations


If you ever had the chance to meet Terry, the first thing that comes to mind is how affable the man is, no matter if you're at the Beachland Ballroom or in the alley fixing a flat tire, Terry will always make the situation brighter.
A wild imagination is another trait of Terry Durst and that is apparent in his preparation for "The Carter Excavations" exhibition that is opening this Friday the 8th of January at Arts Collinwood [6-9pm.]
Arts Collinwood
15605 Waterloo Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44110
216.692.9500

Terry Durst summary of The Carter Excavations:
I cast myself as a fictional character, Zeke Carter, and dug up my family’s site in Alaska – this is where I found these pieces. The Carter Family – the original 3, Maybelle, Sara and Alvin – were excavated as well, in that the pieces are about how I feel when I hear them sing and play. Howard Carter discovered King Tut’s remains, and hopefully that piece of history exists throughout the work in a subliminal sense. I was thinking about Euclid Beach Park, my first experience at an amusement park when I was 5. truTV’s Forensic Files has been a major influence on this work.

Artist Statement:
I’ve made and observed art since my early teenage years, my biggest influence and obsession has been and continues to be Neil Young, and rock and roll in general. My favorite film in the entire world is David Lynch’s INLAND EMPIRE. (Yes, this title is in all caps.) This film has taught me how to work in my studio. I think it is Lynch’s masterwork. Dan Tranberg and I have been partners for 14 years. We have one dog, a young Basset Hound named Duke (after Ellington). My degree is from Kent State – split major, sculpture and film. I taught several subjects in the Art Department at Tri-C East for 5 years. At CIA, for 2 years, along with classes in the Painting Foundations program, I taught a class in David Lynch’s Twin Peaks TV series. I love students but find most Administrations crazy and evil, evil like the cult in Rosemary’s Baby. Currently I work at The Beachland Ballroom as a doorperson/bouncer, but will be bartending there very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment